Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Buddy Holly and the Crickets

I had meant to spend the week focusing on the music of the 1950's, but the week is now half gone. Still, I'm going to hit a few anyway...starting with my favorite of the 50's, Buddy Holly. I really think Buddy and Chuck Berry were the proto-type rockers. They played an instrument, sang and wrote their own songs. Pretty revolutionary. Elvis may have been bigger, but he was not a writer. You listen to The Beatles, and I think you hear more Chuck and Buddy (and Little Richard) than you do Elvis.

About 20 years ago, I visited Buddy's grave in Lubbock, TX. It has a small marker...too small for someone who had such a lasting impact. You can see some pictures of it here. It has changed a little since I was there. I believe both of Buddy's parents died since then, so there are more markers.

This is Buddy and the Crickets doing "Peggy Sue" on the Ed Sullivan Show.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Don't forget the mighty drums of Jerry I. Allison!!! He was the template for rock and roll drummers as we know them. Check out a cut off of the CHRIPING CRICKETS album called "Rock-a-bye My Baby" and you will hear a ton of riffs that were copped by Ringo.

Of all of the founding father of Rock & Roll, Buddy was the most modern sounding. The middle eight of "Peggy Sue" is astounding.. who else was going from A to F in 1957? Buddy was one if not the first rocker to go beyond the standard 12 bar and I-VI-IV-V formats.

Give "Well Alright" a listen.. again the E-A changes in the verses we're almost unheard of in white music. And has anyone been ever been able to duplicate the interplay between JI and Buddy on "Not Fade Away" ?

I would have to imagine that Bo Diddley was a big influence on some of Buddy adventurous song structures. Country & Western also played huge part of Buddy's music as well and the Elvis influence was strong too. But when you look at the 1 1/2 years he made records you see a huge leap as an artist maybe the single biggest progression apart form the 1964-1967 Beatles.

And to top it off, no ne outside of Jimi has looked as cool with a Fender Stratocaster!

7:53 AM  
Blogger Side3 said...

I agree...imagine if he had lived what Buddy might have been doing circa 1967/68. My guess is that he would still have been on top.

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com