Friday, November 03, 2006

The Bee Gees

I hated disco in the 1970's, and to me The Bee Gees disco. Big hair, sparkly cloths...falsettos! Well, I have had to reevaluate my loathing of the Brothers Gibb. First I discovered their great 1960's pop recordings. Then I realized that minus the beat, those 1970's Bee Gees were first and foremost great songs!

I love it when Barry and Robin trade parts, and though Maurice rarely sang lead, I think he may be their secret weapon. The man played bass beautifully, and others instruments as well. And you could really tell when he sang his harmony part...it filled out the sound very nicely.

If you do not own the first three Bee Gees album go here. Rhino Handmade is re-releasing them in expanded form. They are great...unbelievable really. 1960's pop was rarely better.

Clip number one is a live performance of "Run to Me". Check out Barry's hair! Just an FYI...at the top of this clip is an unrelated 'comedy' bit with Wilson Pickett!

Clip number two is the original five man line up doing "Words" on the "Ed Sullivan Show".

Clip three is a very cool promo of "I've Gotta get a Message to You", again with the original five man lineup.

And because I am Bee Gee crazy today, a fourth clip...a killer performance of "Nights on Broadway" from "The Helen Reddy Show" in 1975. Maurice was still playing bass live at this point. He was very good. I never could figure out why he stopped playing bass live...he really kicks it here...RIP Mo.










0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com